Monday, April 16, 2012

Cakes and Cookies

I've been baking and decorating cakes for awhile; I've always made Lucas' birthday cakes and Hannah's, too (although she's only had one birthday).  Growing up, I remember my mom baking and decorating my birthday cakes.  She let me play with her piping bags and try to create.  I've shared some of my creations and here are a few more.  I love the challenge and it is fun to try new techniques.

Vicky asked me to make a white cake with black polka-dots.  She provided the pretty green cake plate.  Lucas' reaction to this cake was "It looks like a cow; white with black spots."


A surprise baby shower cake for Erin & Scott.  They know the baby's gender, but aren't sharing. 


It was fun to try my hand at chocolate curls.  This is white chocolate that I tinted yellow and green. 


Jenna had a "rock star" themed birthday party and wanted a guitar cake.  Her decorations were pink, aqua and purple. 


I had leftover buttercream in piping bags so I whipped up some sugar cookies when VW's came over to hang out.  I wasn't sure what the reaction to decorating your own dessert was going to be.  The kids and adults loved it! 

Hanna had a well thought out plan for a pretty flower. 

Lucas squeezed the bag to make a big pile of buttercream.


I don't remember what Jonah's looked like and you can't tell from the pic.  Oops.

Josh had the most buttercream, by far and he was a proud artist. 


Hanna is a huge Hunger Games fan.  She's read all three of the books and couldn't wait for the movie to come out.  Just her luck - the movie was released about the same time she turned 13!  This was a triple layer - chocolate/white/chocolate.


Homemade fondant bookmark.


One of the best parts - the cake was a total surprise!  She loved it and has told me about 15 times how cool it was.  Her friends loved it, too. 


Cupcakes for hosting sorority. 
Strawberry with homemade whipped topping and fresh strawberries. 
Chocolate with cream cheese frosting and chocolate curls.


I love the creativity and the challenge! 

2 comments: