Saturday, September 17, 2011

Peanut Butter Puffs


You won't be able to resist making this recipe.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup honey
2 Tb brown sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 and 3/4 cup Rice Krispies cereal
wax paper
chocolate chips

Directions:
Combine honey and brown sugar.  Heat in saucepan, stirring until mixture boils and sugar dissolves (2-3 minutes).  Remove from heat.  Add peanut butter and stir until smooth.  Mix in Rice Krispie cereal and stir evenly to coat.   Cool until able to handle (about 5 minutes).  With hands, scoop and round a small bite size ball; place on wax paper-lined cookie sheet {you have to be really firm when you form the balls or they will fall apart}.  Chill in fridge for 10-20 minutes. 

That's it for the original recipe, but I tweaked it... First, I quadrupled it because I knew one and three-fourths cup of Rice Krispies wasn't going to make much {I shared them with my family}!  Then, I thought they would look cute with chocolate drizzled on them, plus I can't resist peanut butter AND chocolate.  I melted a cup of chocolate chips in the microwave and scooped a spoonful of chocolate with a serving spoon and drizzled over.  That didn't go quite as easily as I thought it would and was actually pretty messy.  Next time, I would just dunk the balls in the chocolate.  :) 
Store the peanut-butter puffs in an airtight container at room temperature up to five days.  If you want a cute presentation, cupcake liners work great.

The recipe was featured in Parenting magazine from Lisa Atwood's book Cookbook for Kids. 
*A note about quadrupling the recipe - my nieces, nephews and brother-in-law all loved them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment