Wednesday, March 30, 2011

- fail -

I failed at a lesson in independence for Lucas. 

We were at church - Brent was song leader and I was in the pew with Lucas and Hannah.  It was time to leave our pew and walk to the altar for communion, but Lucas was engrossed in his coloring.  I tugged on his hand and he told me he wanted to color.  I told him that Hannah and I would be right back.  I again asked him to come with and he insisted he stay and color.  Our church would definitely not be considered huge but every five steps or so I would turn around and see the top of his head.  I was rounding the corner to return to our pew when I heard this awful, terrified, sad cry.  Guess who it was?  I rushed back to the pew and scooped up Lucas with one arm (Hannah was in the other).  I began whispering I'm sorry.  Mommy didn't leave you.  You wanted to color.  I told you I'd be right back.  I'm sorry.  This was no silent cry.  Everyone around us kept giving the sympathetic look like, poor Lucas

I must admit that I thought it was a tiny bit funny, after all he DID tell me he wanted to stay and color.

From Brent's post at the front of the church I could see him giving me the look of why did you do that?!?! 

I learned the lesson that Lucas is not ready to be left by himself in the church pew.

No comments:

Post a Comment