Friday, August 6, 2010

A special lady

My great-aunt Dorothy was born on October 30, 1916.  Sixty-three years later, I was born on her birthday.  We had a special bond sharing our birthday together. 

Dorothy is my mom's aunt, my Grandpa Badtram's sister.  She was the fifth of eight kids.  Aunt Dorothy was a saver.  I know part of this habit was formed because she was a child of the Depression, but also because she was a sentimental saver.  She clipped newspapers, saved mementos and photos.  Aunt Dorothy would love this blog!

Her 8th grade report card. 

She was a good student, receiving mostly Excellent, and a few Good and Fair marks.  I didn't circle it (it was like that when I saw it), but it looks like her lowest grade was F- in U.S. History.  In today's terms that would be a C-.

The report list (in order from top to bottom): Days Attendance, Days Absent, Times Tardy, Deportment, Industry, Neatness, Reading, Phonics, Orthography, Penmanship, Arithmetic, Geography, Language or Grammar, History U.S., Music, Physiology, Civil Government (Oral), Citizenship, Agriculture, Manual Training, Home Economics, Physical Training, Drawing, General Average.  The grading scale was tough: Excellent: 95-100, Good: 85-95, Fair: 75-85, Unsatisfactory: 70-75, Poor: below 70.  Required Average: 75%, Minimum: 70%.

Her 8th Grade Diploma states:

This is to certify that Dorothy Badtram has completed the Course of Study covering the work of eight years in the Common Branches required by Law to be taught in the Public Schools of Scott County and is therefore entitled to this Diploma.  In Witness Whereof, our signatures are hereunto attached. Given at Davenport, Iowa, this 26th day of May, A.D. 1931
signed - Harry W. Banze, County Superintendent
signed - Elizabeth C. Wagner, Teacher



She married Melvin Dammann on September 1, 1938.  They farmed in Davenport and never had children.  They were very generous donors to Walnut Grove Pioneer Village at Scott County Park.  The Antique Farm Machinery Building was built thanks to their donation.  They also donated many of the items on display.  Many of the items were used by Melvin's father, Emil L. Dammann. 

Uncle Melvin passed away on October 29, 2001. 


Birthday memories.
Sharing my first birthday with Aunt Dorothy.  This became a tradition for many years. 

Second birthday.

Our annual birthday party grew when my Aunt Joann (mom's sister) got married.  Her husband, Leonard Bullock, also shared the October 30th birthday!  We had many hot dog roasts at the Dammann farm for our birthday party.  A very special birthday was the year I turned 7 and she turned 70.  I still have the angel statue holding our flower birthstone. 

I don't know when it changed, but somewhere along the way, the birthday party moved to my parent's house.  I suppose as I grew older, it wasn't a priority for me to celebrate with the extended family. 

The tradition changed again in 2000 when my nephew, Caleb, was born on October 3.  While not sharing the same exact day, we did have a lot of October birthdays to celebrate in our family.  My dad's birthday is October 9th.  My niece, Adele, was born on October 11, 2002. 

My sister, Karen, began hosting the October birthday celebration.  This has continued the last ten years.

In May, we were able to visit Aunt Dorothy at her Care Center in Davenport.  Her mind has been good to her and as soon as we walked in, she knew each of the kids.  I have enjoyed writing her letters and sharing photos of Lucas.  I know that she enjoyed reading them and hearing about what we were up to.  She showed off the photos proudly. 

At the age of 93, Aunt Dorothy passed away on August 4, 2010.  My mom and cousin, Jerry Badtram, were caring for her things and had very specific instructions from her that there would not be a memorial service or burial procession.  She simply wanted laid to rest next to her beloved Melvin at Pine Hill Cemetery in Davenport.  I will miss her hand written notes and birthday cards that always came on time. 

1 comment: