Saturday, January 26, 2013

eMbaRRassEd

I'm human. 
 
I'm willing to admit my mistakes.
 
Even the ones that eliminate me from the fictitious "Mom of the Year" award.
 
Every resident at our house has play tennis shoes and good tennis shoes.  The play ones are for messing in the yard, wearing to daycare and just "getting dirty" play.  The good ones are for being in public :) 
 
A few weeks ago Lucas and Hannah were at daycare in the morning before Lucas went to preschool in the afternoon.  On these days, Lucas wears his play shoes because daycare play can be messy (which I love, but don't want to ruin shoes.  Am I a little over the top about this?).  I sent his snow pants and boots that day, too, because the weather had been warm enough to play outside in the snow (not like the recent single digit degree days).  When I picked him up to shuttle him to preschool this was our conversation:
 
Mom: Did you play outside today?
Lucas: Yes, it was nice outside.
Mom: Did you wear your snow pants and boots or just regular clothes?
Lucas:  Just regular clothes.  My feet got cold, though.
Mom: I'm sorry your feet got cold.
Lucas: They were okay until my socks got wet.
Mom: How did your socks get wet?
Lucas:  I have a hole in my shoe.
Mom (dumbfounded):  You have a hole in your shoe?
Lucas: Yeah, sometimes I stick my finger in it.
Mom: You stick your finger in the hole in your shoe?
Lucas: Yeah.
 
We were driving in between daycare and preschool so I couldn't look at his shoes.  When we pulled up to preschool and I unbuckled his car seat and looked at his shoes.
 
I.ABOUT.FELL.OVER.FROM.EMBARRASSMENT.
 
 
 
This wasn't a pin hole.  It was HUGE.  No wonder the kid's socks and feet got wet and cold.  Geesh, mom!  I hated to even send Lucas into preschool with these falling-apart shoes, but we were already there and getting out of the van...  I told Lucas that if he gets holes in his shoes or clothes, if he gets too big for his shoes or clothes or something doesn't feel good to wear, he has to tell mom
 
I was quite embarrassed.
 
I was also quite humored by it because it was so nonchalant for him.  He didn't care that he had a fist size hole in his shoe. 
 
Needless to say, I very quickly bought him a new pair of play shoes, took a picture of the old shoes so I could share this funny story and them threw them in the trash. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
P.S. Lucas loves to get new shoes.  Are you aware of this equation?
 
New shoes = super fast shoes.
 
Lucas tests the quality of his shoes by how fast he can run (in the store, in the driveway, in the hallway).  I think this is a pretty normal boy thing.  Hannah cares about how colorful her shoes are... oh, and the quantity of pairs she has.  Also a pretty normal girl thing.
 

2 comments: