Wednesday, August 1, 2012

my wall

This barn board wall is very special to me.


I love how it turned out and the sentimental value is priceless. 

Very early this spring my dad told me he was tearing down the corn crib and a few days later I called him and asked him to save me some of the boards. The kids and I went to my parent's for a weekend when Brent was very busy this spring. Just imagine Brent's excitement when I brought them home and stacked them up in the garage! He loves a home decorating project {not}. 

You can see the red corn crib in the background of this photo:


This corn crib was built sometime in the early 1940s.  It is loosely framed with spaces between slats on the walls, allowing air to pass through and dry the corn still on the cob. Cribs had to be narrow to allow the air to pass through the cobs. As the farmer needed corn to feed cattle, the corn would be shelled, the kernels ground and fed to the livestock.  I love that my boards are aged, weathered and stood the test of time on the farm my grandfather and father have worked so tirelessly on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment