Friday, July 27, 2012

County Fair | 2012

What a different view I had of the fair this year!  I wasn't in charge... I wasn't at the fairgrounds 16 hours a day... I wasn't getting justified (and crazy) questions all day.  I loved it.  So many things I haven't gotten to enjoy with my family before - we watched the parade, we went to the rodeo, the chuck wagon races, the demo derby, the BBQ contest, the pedal pull, played at the carnival, climbed on the implements, ate fair food together, watched a couple of animal shows... and I didn't get pulled away or have my cell phone ringing constantly.  The only thing I really missed was that I didn't get to visit with people as much.  It is hard to visit when Lucas is pulling on my arm or Hannah is mad about being restricted in her stroller. 

The office asked me to work a few hours during the fair and I was happy to help.  It was kind of fun to not be in charge but still be in the mix of everything. 

Anyway, back to the non-working.
 
My grand champions -


Lucas' favorite carnival activity. 
I bet he threw 150 baseballs during the fair; his fastest throw was 17 mph.

However, he DID NOT love the ladybug ride. 
This pic was seconds after being buckled in so he was able to get off before it started.  Poor guy. 

We enjoyed {too many pieces} of pie and Great Pa's ice cream!

One of Hannah's favorite activities - sitting on the tractors. 

One 4-H parent said to me, "Isn't it great they bring this jungle gym to the fair?" 
So true!

 
Lucas entered the Pedal Pull and loved it. 


First, he had a full pull (40 feet).
Then, they added more weight and he had a full pull again. 
The third time, they added more weight and he made it 36 1/2 feet. 
Not bad for a kid who didn't even know what a pedal pull was when it started!

Third place. 

Showing off his ribbon to Gramma Connie and Papa Steve.


 
Daddy entered the Cook Off Contest again this year. 
He made chicken with his homemade barbecue sauce and a prime rib. 
Lucas had three plates of food!  Bill had his share, too.


Contestants/winners - Brent won the poultry category for the cook off. 
Way to go!



On Sunday afternoon Brent wanted to go back to the fair for the Ribbon Auction and I happily obliged.  I should have been tipped off that this was out of character (one visit for the whole week is enough for Brent).  We went into the show ring, found a seat and sat down to sweat.  And wait.  And sweat.  They started awarding some of the special awards for the 2012 year and {SURPRISE} one of them was for me... that's why Brent was okay going back to the fair that afternoon... and sitting there sweating.  :-)  He knew about it for a few weeks and even got some special people to come watch. 

The Fairboard chose me as the 2012 Fair Person of the Year. 
I was very surprised and very honored!

The inscription reads: 
Presented to Teresa Perry for outstanding youth involvement and dedication to the Hardin County Fair. 

 

On the way home from the fair that night, Lucas announced the fair was over but there were still fun things to do this summer - like vacation!  There is always something good to look forward to.  :-)


I had fun judging 4-H exhibits at other fairs this year, too.  I think this will be a new hobby for me.  It's fun to see other county fairs, visit with 4-H'ers and get paid.  I judged at five other county fairs in 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Brent for his winning chicken and Congratulations to you, Teresa, for your very special honor!

    ReplyDelete