Friday, August 12, 2011

::surgery::

Lucas had to have a surgical dental procedure done about a month ago.  We had the option of two kinds of procedure and our choice was to do it all at once in a surgical center instead of several visits to the dentist.  I didn't love the thought of him having to be put under anesthesia, but it was definately the better choice. 

We simply told him he had to go to the dentist to make his teeth better.  This was a picture of him before surgery.  Sammy got to go with and even go into the surgery with him.


They allow one parent to go with the child and be with until under anesthesia.  Lucas held my hand and he walked the whole way.  He didn't like the looks of the room when we got there and he saw all of the machines and the bed.  The anesthesiologist showed Lucas the yellow balloon that he needed him to blow up (this process would have him breathing in for the anesthesia to take effect).  They asked me to put him on the bed so I picked him up; he clung to me and started to cry.  Instead of blowing up the yellow balloon, they went ahead and slipped the mask on him.  Within four big breaths Lucas was asleep.  I gave him a big kiss on the forehead and they whisked me out. 

The procedure went well and fast.  As we were walking down the hall to recovery we could hear Lucas crying for us.  I couldn't get there fast enough!  I went in and scooped him right up from the nurse that was comforting him and held and rocked him. 

Brent and I laughed about Sammy's outcome from surgery:

Lucas, however, wanted that stuff off.of.Sammy.now! 

Lucas was sleepy and cuddly all day and I loved every bit.  He later told us that he didn't like the yellow balloon.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment