Friday, August 26, 2011

Preschool, here he comes!!

Today was Lucas' first day of preschool.  We've all been anticipating this special day for months and it was everything we expected!

It was great to be home with the Lucas and Hannah {and Brent, too} this morning -- nothing was rushed and we enjoyed playing together and having breakfast.  There were the obligatory "first day" pictures on the front door step.  Imagine how these kiddos will change in the years to come!  [sniff, sniff *tear*]


Super excited about his Cars 2 backpack!

A picture with Hannah that doesn't look like she is very comfortable...

However, the second try wasn't any better.  I do promise, though, that she was not in a choke-hold.  Rather, a typical "hold on to Hannah" hug.

Outside of school and the reaction, "another picture, mom?"

Lucas was more excited to see Charlie on his way to preschool than smile for the camera with mom.  Guess I should probably get used to that...

I wasn't nervous about Lucas going to preschool or leaving him, I just felt a little unsure about it all being new to him - a new place, new teachers, lots of new faces.  He wasn't nervous at all, if he was he would have been chewing on his fingers, a newly developed habit when he gets scared. 

I walked him in and we did the drop-off rituals... sign-in, check his folder, and hang up his backpack.  Then I reminded him where the bathroom was and where to wash his hands.  Then he was off to build with the blocks.  I stole a kiss and told him "I love you" and snuck out before I had the chance to get sad.  I can't believe my baby is in preschool!  He is half-way to kindergarten, which, by my calculations, means he is just about to graduate and move away from home.  [sniff, sniff *tear*]

While waiting in the vehicle pick-up line outside of preschool, he spotted me from inside and gave me a huge smile and waved.  It made my heart skip.  We loaded up and the entire drive home (okay, it's only a few blocks) he talked non-stop about the fun things he did... he played with toy tools, the kitchen {he was excited to use the play vacuum}, they talked about God and Jesus, had a snack and played outside.  He loved it!

3 comments:

  1. oh.my.goodness! The pictures with Hannah made me laugh out loud! So glad Lucas had a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i should have done the same thing you did...got them to the toys and told them i loved them, kiss them and left...only I hung around and until we were all crying... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He must be practicing his wrestling moves on Hannah! Full Nelson in one pic then a headlock in the other.

    ReplyDelete