Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Smile :)

I got braces on my teeth the week of my 30th birthday. Quite the present to myself, huh?  It was my choice - I've always wished I had straight teeth for a bigger, brighter smile. Brent never even blinked, just encouraged me to do what would make me happy.  My orthodontist told me I would probably have them on for two years... that seemed like an eternity!

The first week of having them on was interesting; I was very self-conscious and had to adjust to talking, smiling and eating. I laugh when I see pictures of my murder-mystery/costume birthday party because I hadn't quite figured out all this extra "stuff" in my mouth.


As time went on, I got used to it.  I admit that I was a little obsessive-compulsive about brushing and flossing, although definitely not bad habits.  I think I can safely say that I was a favorite patient at the Orthodontist office... I brushed, I flossed, I wore my rubber bands religiously, I showed up for appointments. 

One funny experience came at church.  We were visiting my parent's house and had gone to church with them.  I had forgotten to take off my rubber bands before church, and once there, I didn't want to fiddle with it in the middle of mass.  I held Lucas' hand as we walked up for communion and when I placed my hands out to receive the Eucharist, I picked it up and popped it in my mouth.  Well, I should say I tried to pop it into my mouth.  The rubber bands restricted the "open space" I could shove anything into, including the Eucharist!  It bounced off my rubber bands and landed on Lucas' head, which I instantly grabbed with both hands.  I'm glad my reflexes responded so quickly!  I have no idea if anyone saw it, but if they did it was sure to give them a chuckle. 

It all paid off big when I got them off after just 13 months.  Woohoo! 

1 comment: