Tuesday, April 22, 2014

No More Perfect Moms

I am part of a weekly moms group called Play & Pray.  As moms, we encourage each other, we lean on each other and we offer advice.  We center our discussion on whatever faith based book we are reading but it always drifts to whatever happenings (happy or difficult) that our lives are dealing with.  Last fall we read "No More Perfect Moms" by Jill Savage.


I am not perfect, nor is my husband, my kids or my house.  

"How clean your kitchen floor is does not define you."  Oh, thank goodness!

"Our imperfect lives are counterbalanced with a perfect God."  We can't be perfect parents but we can partner with a perfect God.  God gives us a perfect love, perfect strength, perfect hope, a perfect truth and a perfect redemption.  

Every mom should read this book; it is so relatable to real life.  And every mom has some of the feelings shared in the book.  Savage talks about the perfection infection - "while we are pursuing perfection, we're missing out on the most precious parts of life."  Facebook, Instagram and blogs can make lives look perfect and free of stress and mess.  But that's the perception, not the reality.  

My reality is I just picked up eight socks in my living room, only two of those were a pair.  I'll probably find the rest in the toy piles or under the couch.
My perception is that I've cropped photos to remove messes.
There's more:
I think dusting is over rated.
Mail, work papers and homework pile up on our counter.
I've found gross sippy cups before
Our kids don't make their beds.
Sometimes we have breakfast for supper because it's easy.


The list could go on and on…

What's your reality? 


2 comments:

  1. reality = feeding our baby his snack on the floor because it's more convenient than strapping him into his highchair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, I love it! Thanks for your honesty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete