Monday, April 28, 2014

Grandpa & Grandma's farm

We visited Papa Richard and Grandma Mary about a month ago.  It was still cold, but sunny and we did some exploring around the farm.  My mind was flooded with memories of my childhood on the family farm.  It was no surprise to me at all that Lucas and Hannah loved exploring, asking me questions and running around.  Since it was still cold temperatures, Ryan stayed cozy and warm inside with Grandma.  
She loves animals.  She stood there for a long time talking to the calves.  


That's an animal chute and head gate.  You would use this small size of chute for an animal like sheep to put in an ear tag for identification or to administer medical attention.  Don't confuse it with a guillotine, which it looks like with this six year old posing in it.  There was no one to take a picture of me inside it when Lucas asked what it was.  
Yes, I climbed in.  :-)


Poking things with sticks… seems to be a natural part of kid discovery. 


I remember the dent in the top pole of this portable scale 25 years ago.  
There was less rust back then, too.  

Brent was helping my dad try to get this tractor running and he dropped a teeny tiny screw in the dirt below.  Lucas was helping look for it, too.  


Using young energy to pick up sticks.  


Chore time with Papa! 

Some fun on the swing set. 

Lucas and Dusty


Hannah and Dusty



I like this picture… the colors… the clouds.
The white structure with a window was the original house on the farm when my grandparents moved here.  My dad lived in that house until my grandparents built the house that my parents live in today.  

This windmill (missing all of its blades) was giant when I was a kid.  It also seemed like such a long walk from the other side of the farm where my childhood house stood.  There was some kind of berry bush that used to grow in the windmill when we were kids and I can remember Karen and I walking to it and picking berries.  I guess that was our "Little House on the  Prairie" childhood moment... I don't remember eating them.  

My mom and I were hanging up some pictures and came across this old one… she thinks it is my paternal great grandparents, James and Anna Fitzpatrick on their wedding day.



My dad, Richard (in the stroller), with his cousins Camilla and Ronnie*.  
Picture taken at the south farm, approximately 1941.  

*More than 35 years after this picture was taken, Ronnie and his wife, Sharon, became my Godparents.  

Look at that stroller!  

It was a great weekend of memories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment