Friday, June 14, 2013

tum, ta, tum, tum, TUMS


Oh, Tums.  How I wish I didn't need you!

I have consumed almost two whole bottles of these this pregnancy... and it isn't over yet.  

I remember when I was little and my dad would clean out his jean pockets at the end of a day.  There were always coins, a pocket knife, the random lint ball or pieces of hay.  And usually a roll of Tums.  I think I might have eaten one once believing it to be a piece of candy.  It wasn't candy.  It tasted like a piece of blackboard chalk.  Gross.  

I have a very clear memory of the first time I had heartburn during Lucas' pregnancy.  I was 36 weeks pregnant and had been catching up with my friend, Megan.  She asked if I had experienced any heartburn.  I didn't think so, I wasn't sure.  That same exact night I was describing this burning feeling I was having and Brent said, "sounds like heartburn."  What?!  I started choking down Tums.  The heartburn was constant during the last six weeks (yes, 36+6 weeks = 42 weeks) of Lucas' pregnancy.  

I had some heartburn during Hannah's pregnancy... pretty regular from 32 weeks on.  

This time around the heartburn started around 21 weeks... and it hasn't stopped since.  

I've come full circle since eating what I thought was going to be a piece of candy from my dad's pocket to consuming multiple doses daily.  I don't think they taste that bad anymore.  Weird, huh?  The bottle says not to have more than 15 tablets in 24 hours.  I haven't had more than 15 in a day, but I have come pretty close a few times.  

**I am fully aware that having heartburn is really not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things.  My pregnancy has been healthy and happy.  The baby is healthy and (I think) happy.  But I felt the need to share my dependency on Tums.  

1 comment:

  1. Try the smooth ones! The don't taste like chalk!! They too were my friend during pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete