Tuesday, November 23, 2010

kids DO say the darndest things

I knew the day would come that Lucas would say things out loud that make us want to cringe from embarrassment... it's happened and I have some examples. 

Last week at the grocery store Lucas looked up at the man behind us in line and said "That guy big!"  And he was big - very tall and robust tummy.  I looked at him with pleading eyes and smiled, hoping he was an understanding guy.  He smiled and told Lucas, "If you eat your vegetables and drink your milk, you'll grow up big, too." 

Phew.  That one didn't end so bad. 

Last night he was waiting his turn to get his haircut, while Jennie was finishing another client.  Lucas sat patiently on my lap, but was acting nervous and scared.  He points to the woman in the chair (getting her haircut) and says, "She scary."  Luckily, she and Jennie had a nice conversation going and neither of them heard what Lucas said.  I whispered in Lucas' ear, "That's not a nice thing to say.  We don't say things like that."  Then he winced like he really was scared of her.  I was able to distract him with some toys for awhile, but as she was leaving, he said it again.  I took him into the bathroom to go potty before it was his turn to get his haircut and explained, again, that saying something like that might hurt someones feelings.  "I don't want  her to cry," he said sympathetically.

Even though he is a tender-hearted boy, I know this will not be the last time he says something that I hope people don't hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment