Monday, January 11, 2010

Someone doesn't like my singing

In the last month or so, I’ve heard several versions of “No, mommy, daddy sing this song” and “No singing mommy.” These usually take place in the car, or listening to music in the house. Thankfully, Lucas does let me sing at church (with the congregation, that is).  I must get drowned out by the rest of the better singers. 


I think I can safely say, without offending any of my siblings, that we are not talented musicians. We sang in elementary music class, the church Christmas program and my sisters were in chorus in high school. However, none of us would make the cut on American Idol. Brent’s family, on the other hand, is gifted musically. Brent took piano lessons as a child, played in the band in junior high and high school, and was never afraid of the microphone during a Cabaret performance. In college, he sang in several weddings. His wedding proposal to me even came in song! He can still plunk out a tune on the piano just from sound. His mom and dad have considered getting rid of their piano and they always suggest it should end up at our house and it probably will… someday.

It will be fun to watch Lucas discover his own talents and make memories. But in the meantime, I’m not allowed to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment