Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Friends

Daycare has taught Lucas a lot of wonderful things, but one of the greatest benefits is the friends he has made. He comes home and talks about Ava, Jonah, Carter, Bo, Sawyer and Charlie, as well as lots of the teachers and other schoolmates. Since they were just a few months old, Lucas and Ava have been hanging out.

Ava and Lucas at the pool for the first time: June 2008


This seems like so long ago…


When Lucas started to say Ava’s name it came out sounding like Ahhhh-va. Ava’s mom and I have exchanged several stories in the time they’ve been friends. There have been several mornings that Ava has been the welcoming committee and met Lucas at the door with a beautiful smile.

Since Ava is a few months older, she got to move to an older room before Lucas. He was very happy to be reunited with his buddy on his birthday. That same week, Ava’s mom told me that when she asked Ava which friend she played with at school she replied "My Lucas". Then she sang "Happy Birthday, Lucas.”

A few days after that, I walked in to pick up Lucas and bent down to give him a hug. In an instant, Lucas and Ava were both trying to unzip my coat and get to the I-State symbol on my shirt. "Cy! Cy! Cy!" they yelled. 






This was at supper last night:
B: Lucas, who did you play with at school today?
L: Ava
B: Does Ava play with dolls or tractors?
L: Dolls.
B: Do you play with dolls or tractors?
L: Tractors.
Me: Do you play dolls with Ava?
L: Yes.
Me: Does Ava play tractors with you?
L: Yes.
Me: That is a very nice friend to play with each other's toys.

It was funny because it was such a long conversation with a two year old! He was so sincere about it.

Brent and I both have very dear friendships that started in diapers. I hope that Ava and Lucas can always be good buddies.

2 comments:

  1. So freakin' cute T! I'm so glad we've been friends since we were almost this young:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you saw this! I was thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete