Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fairgrounds 5K

I've participated in a couple of 5k events in the last year and Lucas had asked to do one. He doesn't have any idea how long a 5k is {it's 3.1 miles} so I wanted to find one that was appealing to kids.  Guess what? One of my favorite places in the world has a 5k fundraiser.  The IOWA STATE FAIR.  The money goes to to the Blue Ribbon Foundation which helps renovate and restore the fairgrounds.  When I saw this 5k had a specific kids event, I was hooked.  


I've been to the state fairgrounds for lots of events, so I've seen it in different appearances {including freezing cold and snow covered while showing cattle at the Iowa Beef Expo in February when I was a youngin'}.  The day of the 5k, the fall colors were on display and it was crisp fall day - perfect.  



We were captured by the event photographer :-) 


The Chase the Cow Kids Run did exactly that - they chased the cow.  Each age group of kids went a little farther, based on the age of kids.  Lucas' age group ran 100 meters.   

Do you see him?


Way on the end...


And they're off! 





I was so proud of him and how much he loved it!  There is nothing better than watching your child discover new things, try something out of the norm, and be successful.  

After his race the 5k/1mi walk started.  It was awesome that after the kids race he said, "when do we run the one together."  He wasn't even phased and ready for more.  We probably ran 50% of it and he enjoyed the whole event.  No complaints.  

Post race! 

Remember where we were?  
How could there be a better post race snack than...

CORN DOGS! 

and...
FAIR SQUARES! 

We are absolutely doing this race again.  

*I don't know who to give credit, but several of these photos are from the Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment