Monday, May 6, 2013

Lucas

It is incredible to watch your kids grow up.  Right before your eyes they change, mature and grow.  A few stories about Mr. Lucas...

I don't know how it even started, but sometime in the last few months Lucas and I started this little saying.  "I love you." 
"I love you more."
"Nope, it's not possible."
"Yes, it's very possible.  I love you more."  
It usually goes on like this for a bit and spirals out of control; the quotes could be from either of us, it's fun and makes us both giggle.  


There were lots of discussions in the last few months about Aunt Ann and Uncle Koen.  Lucas had picked out a picture that he wanted to color for Aunt Ann from his race car coloring book.  When he had finished it, I reached for it to start tearing the page out of the book.  Before I could even get started on the serrated page he was asking what I was doing... he wanted her to have it, but he wondered how it would get to Belgium.  I told him we'd mail it from the post office.  He was concerned about it getting wet when it went across the ocean.  :)  I suggested we take a picture of him with the picture and email it.  That solved all the issues, including the speed at which snail mail travels. 


I may be a bit of a pushover at bedtime.  You see, this is the time of day that I think about how fast the kids grow up and I might let them get away with an extra something or other that I might not usually.  On this particular night, right at bedtime, Lucas told me he needed to draw me a picture.  Oh, he is so sweet.  So I let him stay up a little later and the creation began.  As you can see, there were many attempts at the perfect "people" for his drawing.  

This was his final piece, a family picture:



How much do these two love each other?  Of course it isn't ALWAYS happiness, but they do like each other.  
After Brent and I were in Belgium back in February, then I was taking a lot of trips to my parent's with Ann's arrangements, then we were all on the road for the funeral - the kid's bedtime routines were all sorts of messed up.  While trying to get back on track there were some night time frustrations.  One night, we could hear Lucas singing to Hannah at bedtime to try to soothe her.  He was making up his own tune, but it included things like "close your eyes" and "don't be sad."  Such a good caretaker.  Watch out Hannah's future boyfriend(s)!


Also at bedtime quite a while ago, Lucas asked to say his prayers by himself.  What could he be praying for that he doesn't want me to hear?  Like any good parent, I stuck my ear to the doorway to eavesdrop.  "Dear God, please let there be two babies in mommy's tummy.  A boy for me and a girl for Hannah.  Amen."  So sweet that he wanted a playmate for each of them, but I did follow that up with my own small prayer - "Dear Lord, one perfectly healthy baby is sufficient.  Thank you."  




No comments:

Post a Comment