Tuesday, February 26, 2013

life happens

I've been reminded in the last month that I am not in control of life. 

Ann's cancer took charge at the end of January - it had spread to her brain. While things were getting worse for her I was waiting for my next OB appointment to see if my doctor would clear me to travel. Brent and I wanted to get to Belgium as fast as possible.

At the same time my dad had been having some out of the ordinary things with his heart that caused concern for a cardiologist to suggest he needed an angiogram.

And my best friend's mom passed away very suddenly.

Sadness and fear filled me up.

My OB said baby and I were perfectly healthy to travel. My dad's tests all came back okay. Erin and her family are filled with the faith their mom had - God will provide.

Brent and I booked tickets and arranged care for the kids and left three days later.  We sat with Koen and talked, had discussions and made decisions for Ann's care, we cried and we laughed.  Ann passed away on Saturday, February 16, 2013.  I am glad we were there.  She was only 41 and her courageous battle was just four months long.

My parents returned from Belgium to news that my grandpa was in the hospital.  Six days after Ann died, my grandfather passed away. 

Psalm 116: 1-2: I love the LORD because he hears and answers my prayers. Because he bends down and listens, I will pray as long as I have breath.
I love the picture that God, in all His glory, is bending down to listen to us. Even when we don’t know what to say, He hears us.
 
Ann and Koen

My grandparents with some of their 16 great grandchildren.
 

1 comment: