Saturday, May 21, 2011

"tell me a story."

Some nights at bedtime, after books, Lucas will request, "tell me a story." 

What story?
"Taking out fence," is his #1 choice.

This really isn't an extraordinary story.  One night last fall Lucas and I went to the farm and watched Papa, Daddy and Great Pa take out fence.  In the middle of telling the story a couple of nights ago, Lucas interrupted and said, "Hannah wasn't there."

"No, Hannah was still in mommy's tummy."  And as soon as I said it, I realized I could be opening up a big window of new conversation.

"When did Hannah come out of your belly?"  he questioned.
"She came out of my tummy when you came to the hospital to meet her.  Do you remember when you came to the hospital?"

"Oh yeah, I 'member. I was with Papa and Gramma."
{pause}

"Why did she come out of your belly?"
"God got her out of my tummy to meet you and mommy and daddy."
"Yeah (he said it so casually, like we'd discussed this many times), I wanted to meet her."

"Mommy and Daddy wanted to meet her, too." 

And that was the end of the conversation; I think I covered that one pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment