Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tractor shopping

Some children flip through pages and pages of toy catalogs, dreaming of what fun they might have with the newest toys.  Not our son.  Lucas could spend hours looking at tractor magazines. 

He's not picky about colors... green...

red...

yellow...

so many choices. 

He was very excited when he saw a photo of a tractor similar to his. "My tractor!  My tractor!"  He ran all over the house looking for this tractor.  Then he showed it to the magazine, "LOOK!" 

I know where this comes from.  My dad, Brent's dad and farmers all over the country receive dozens of farm magazines a month. Brent gets the magazines in the mail, he picks up the free ones at the gas station when we are on long road trips, he reads and watches implement websites and auctions.  My brother does it, Brent's brother does it.  It's an innate behavior, they can't help it.

When I ask Brent what he's looking for he usually responds something like, "just looking." I do ask, though, because if I don't ask, sometimes I find out after it is in the machine shed. Yes, that's happened.

I should clarify and say that it isn't just tractors.  There are combines, trailers, trucks, 4-wheelers, balers, tillage equipment, mowers, planters, sprayers, snow blowers, augers.  And many more.  Lucas really likes the game we play of pointing at a picture and naming it.  When we started that game many months ago, everything was a tractor.  Now he can name lots of different equipment. 

I love it.

I've been contemplating sending some pictures of Lucas to the publishers of the farm magazines.  I'm sure this gentleman on the cover is very nice, but he isn't as cute as Lucas. 

1 comment:

  1. I heart little boys and their love of all things to do with the farm. Nate informed me the other day while playing with him that I didn't put his toy planter in "transport" mode correctly. After that conversation I've determined that Nate (age 4) has already surpassed Aunt Erin's farming knowledge:-) He also told me about how he planted the "back 40 acres" and Grandpa 'Garry helped!!

    ReplyDelete