Friday, October 26, 2012

my turn

After all of the riding in the tractor buddy seat the last few years, I finally got my turn. 

As the youngest on a crop and livestock farm growing up, I was a pretty good helper to my dad.  I learned the basics of driving in a tractor.  It first came in the form of a riding lawnmower as a kid.  By eighth grade, I was driving the tractor to pack silage.  In high school I was chopping silage, discing, cultivating and hauling wagons and unloading to the dryer and bins.  I always enjoyed my time in the tractor.  Even in college I spent several weekends helping my dad cut silage and harvest.  He was an excellent teacher and it was a very special time for us.

When I started my new career as a stay at home mom, I was excited that I would be able to help more with the farm.  I love it. 

I was a little nervous getting started, but Steve is a good teacher.  It was a little like riding a bike - you never really forget.  I spent most of my time chopping cornstalks; it was peaceful, quiet, and I enjoyed every minute of it. 
 
Steve even offered to wash the windows of the tractor one morning.  I assured him it wasn't necessary since I don't think I ever drove a tractor of my dad's that had freshly cleaned windows. :)
 

I spent some time in the grain cart, catching on the go.  So nervous. 


There is something neat about night harvest... the big dark sky, machinery lights and the cool, crips temperatures.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment